Healthy Eating Tips for a Healthy Heart
Home Care in Newport Beach CA
What we eat plays a huge role in our health. This is especially true for older adults. This age group is often battling heart conditions and other chronic health problems that could be made better by eating a healthy diet. By not making the right dietary choices, your elderly parent is at risk for stroke or heart disease.
Eating healthy is not easy, but can be done with a little support and encouragement from family members and friends. If you are not able to be by the elderâ€™s side during this change in their life, a home care provider can be there. Not only does this professional caregiver, offer support and companionship to older adults, but they also help with the cooking, cleaning, and any other responsibilities the elder is no longer able to do.
Here are a few ways to dramatically transform the seniorâ€™s eating habits into ones that are healthy.
- Opt for wholesome, fresh food. If it comes from a box, try to refrain from eating it. Instead, encourage your elderly loved one to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fish, low-fat dairy products, and healthy fats.
- Read the labels. Even if a food claims to be healthy, always read the nutritional information. You never know when they could be hiding trans fats, a hefty amount of sodium, and sugar.
- Portion out your meals. Even if the meal is healthy, eating a large portion could cause the elder to gain weight. Try to help your loved one limit their portions in order to maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat the colors of the rainbow. Each fruit and vegetable contains a different vitamin or mineral. Eat a variety of colorful foods in order to get numerous vitamins and minerals in order to keep the body healthy.
- Prepare meals at home. This step may need the assistance of an in-home care provider, but preparing meals at home is healthier and the elder will know exactly what is in their meals.
- Frequently monitor your blood pressure. In order to prevent your loved one from suffering through the severe symptoms of high blood pressure, get it measured at each doctorâ€™s appointment to ensure it is at a safe number.
Heart health is important at any age, but especially after the age of 50. With these tips, you should be able to assist the senior in creating meals that are delicious and healthy.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care in Newport Beach, CA, please contact the caring staff at Care Partners at Home. Contact us atÂ (949) 556-3433.
Source: Â http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/How-to-Eat-Healthy_UCM_307257_Article.jsp#.WDO6QrMg1-Y
Care Partners: Pioneering the Hospital-at-Home Initiative As the world and our communities waged war against Covid-19 over the past year, Care Partners has been on